Whistleblowing As a Federal Employee

Here is a critical question: who keeps our government accountable for its actions, especially when these actions are done in secret? Well, if you’re a federal employee who works on government projects, you and your fellow employees are the ones who are responsible for holding the government accountable to its standards!

The Goal of Whistleblowing

Federal whistleblowing cases are when federal employees report one of the following to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Office of the Inspector General or other authoritative entity:

  • Fraud;
  • Waste;
  • Abuse;
  • Mismanagement;
  • Substantial and specific danger to public safety;
  • Substantial and specific danger to the health of the Office of Personnel Management.

As stated on the OPM website, “Whistleblower disclosures can save lives as well as billions of taxpayer dollars. They play a critical role in keeping our Government honest, efficient, and accountable.”

Protection for Whistleblowers

While whistleblowers may be scared to say something against their employer or organization, they are protected from retaliation by Federal law.

A protected disclosure under Federal whistleblower protection law includes any disclosure of information that evidences a:

  • Violation of any regulation, rule, or law;
  • Gross mismanagement in any form;
  • Gross waste of funds in any form;
  • Abuse of authority; or
  • Substantial and specific danger to public health or safety.

Regardless of how it’s reported, a disclosure of wrongdoing is covered as long as the disclosure is not explicitly prohibited by law and the information doesn’t have to be kept secret in the interest of foreign affairs or national defense.

Need Help Whistleblowing?

If you or a loved one experienced or witnessed wrongdoing by a government agency, the next best step is to talk to an experienced attorney. The Law Firm of John P. Mahoney, Esq., Attorneys at Law, PLLC can help you determine if pursuing a whistleblowing case is the right choice to make.

Call (202) 350-3881 now for a free 30-minute phone consultation concerning your case!