How Do I File an OSC Compliant?

At The Law Firm of John P. Mahoney, Esq., Attorneys at Law, PLLC, we are committed to helping federal employees file complaints against their employers with the Office of Special Counsel (OSC). We are familiar with the different issues that might arise during the claims process, which is why we are here to provide you with top-notch legal counsel each step of the way. Below, we explain what you need to know about filing an OSC complaint against a federal employer.

What Types of Cases Does the OSC Investigate?

The OSC investigates 2 types of cases:

  • Complaints regarding prohibited personnel practices by federal agencies, such as whistleblower retaliation.
  • Complaints regarding the Hatch Act violations. This act covers prohibited political activities for federal employees.

We often handle cases from employees who have reported their employer’s wrongdoing or government waste and experienced various forms of retaliation for making a complaint. If your employer has retaliated against you for bringing attention to prohibited personnel practices or Hatch Act violations, then you need to get in touch with our law firm to get help filing an OSC complaint.

Filing Your Complaint

There are three forms for OSC complaints:

If you are filing a PPP complaint or a whistleblower disclosure complaint, you can submit it online at using the e-filing system. If you are filing a Hatch Act violation claim, it must be submitted by mail.

What Happens After I File an OSC Complaint?

After the OSC receives your complaint, the agency will review it and mail a letter to inform you that they have started the investigation process. This letter should also include the contact name of the OSC investigator assigned to your case. The investigator might request additional information from you and your employer throughout the investigation and will usually send notices about their tentative conclusions this way both parties can respond before a final ruling is reached.

Once the investigation is completed, the OSC will either take action or decline. If it does take action, it will request the employer take corrective steps to remedy the issue. If the employer refuses to take action, the OSC will send the case to the Merit Systems Protection Board (MSPB).

Do you have more questions about filing an OSC complaint? Call (202) 350-3881 to request a consultation with our legal team.