attorney holding papers

How Do I File an EEOC Complaint?

Are you a federal employee who has experienced discrimination or harassment at work? If so, you need to file a formal complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) as soon as possible to hold your employer accountable. Keep reading to find out important guidelines for filing your discrimination complaint.

How Soon Do I Have to File My Complaint?                          

You must file an EEOC complaint within 45 days of the incident. You can file your claim in person, at the local EEOC office, or you can file your claim online or by mail. To find your local EEOC office, call 1-800-669-4000. Speech impaired individuals can call 1-800-669-6820 for assistance.

What Do I Include in My Complaint?

Make sure you include the following in your EEOC complaint:

  • Your full name, home address, and telephone number.
  • The name of your employer, your employer’s phone number, and your employer’s address.
  • Provide a detailed description of the discrimination or harassment you experienced or witnessed in your workplace.
  • Provide documents like emails or office memos that support your claim or might establish a violation.  
  • Provide the names of any witnesses that can support your claim. Make sure you also provide their addresses and phone numbers in your complaint.
  • Explain why you believe you were discriminated against.

What Happens After I File My EEOC Complaint?

After you file your claim with the EEOC, the agency will launch an investigation to determine if illegal discrimination likely occurred at your workplace. As part of the investigation, EEOC officials might come to your work, ask for additional details, request interviews, or review documents.

If the EEOC decides that your employer has discriminated against you, you may receive the following compensation depending on the details of your case:

  • Job reinstatement
  • Back pay
  • Job promotion
  • Front pay
  • Legal fees
  • Court costs

If the EEOC can’t resolve the charges, you will receive notice that you have a 90-day window to sue your employer. If your complaint can’t be resolved, you should immediately consult with an experienced federal employment law firm to discuss how to file a discrimination lawsuit.

To speak to a dedicated lawyer at The Law Firm of John P. Mahoney, Esq., Attorneys at Law, PLLC about your discrimination or harassment case, call (202) 350-3881 to schedule your phone consultation.